12/18/2008

Handmade




Today the boys and I made felted wool wreaths. I bought wool sweaters from the thrift store (in the most awesome, vibrant colors, of course!). Then we felted them (wash in hot water with a little dish soap, dry in dryer on high), and I spent some time last night cutting them up into 2x2 inch squares using my handy dandy rotary cutter. I wouldn't recommend trying this with scissors, it would take FOREVER!
Today, I sat them down with the big box of felted squares and a yarn needle threaded with embroidery thread. It takes roughly 60 squares to make one wreath, you can fold the squares triangularly or just leave them flat. The triangle ones make a fluffier wreath and use less wool.
The boys are giving them to their Nana and Grandma and Alec is giving one to his teacher for a Christmas present.
Later, I'm going to be making a throw out of various shades of cream and caramel wool from recycled sweaters. (I'll post pics when it's finished)
(Oh, and for the record, all you thrifties out there- I shopped on the day that everything was 50%off and paid only $40 for 18 sweaters!)

9 readers took time to leave a thought:

Charity December 18, 2008 at 10:03 PM  

That is adorable! I love the end result.

Irene Joy December 18, 2008 at 10:18 PM  

Cute, cute, cute! What kind of thrift stores do you go to? I never find stuff...

Sara Kay December 18, 2008 at 10:58 PM  

So pretty! Love it!

Homegrown Tribe December 18, 2008 at 11:39 PM  

LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Can't wait to see it in person... and make some of my own. :) That is an AWESOME present idea.

britt

Lakeville Vertical December 19, 2008 at 1:28 AM  

How cute! I love these wreaths and your crafty and thrifty ways. You hanging in there??

Lucky December 19, 2008 at 8:44 AM  

Ooohhh so jealous of the cuteness! I have GOT to find better thrift stores...you are one crafty momma!

Kelli December 19, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

Oh my, those are adorable.

Holly December 19, 2008 at 6:18 PM  

Cute idea! Great for gift's. :)

McSarah December 19, 2008 at 6:31 PM  

They are great, just what i pictured, but better colors : )

  © Blogger template 'Morning Drink' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP